Why do the course?
The course may challenge some personal boundaries as we sleep wild under the stars, track and stalk game, and travel light with minimal supplies. It's certainly more about depth than distance. The backdrop, of course, is traversing some of the finest and most remote wilderness regions of southern Africa on foot.
While there are no formal subjects or lectures, the emphasis of the course lies on meaningful wilderness philosophy, tracking, low-impact guiding skills and bush lore. The adventures are instructed by some of the most experienced trainers and guides in Africa, with a choice of stunning venues within the Makuleke Concession (Kruger National Park) or the Mashatu Game Reserve(Botswana).
- PLAN for overnight stops
- P – Position: is your position a safe one?
- L – Location: are you located close to an escape route?
- A – Acquisitions: are resources (water and firewood) close to hand?
- N – Navigation: will it be easy to navigate from, come leaving time?)
- How to make an eco-friendly fire (you’ll have to come on course for that one …)
- Minimal footprint – how to guide in the bush, leaving little or no evidence of your presence
- Navigation using maps, compass and landmarks
- Planning and setting up campsites
- Night watch
- Planning for and collection of water replenishment
- Trail/track where appropriate
2017 R5 500
2018 R6 490
2017 R6 700
2018 R7 500
Our winning formula
You will be based in camps in prime wildlife areas, and partake in wilderness walks or game drives twice a day. You could be trained in two different game reserves, exposing you to a diversity of habitats and species. No other training provider can match this variety of training environments, or the frequency of practical activities we offer.
14 May-19 May 2017 (Makuleke)
7 June-12 June 2017 (Makuleke)
11 July-16 July 2017 (Makuleke)
25 July-30 July 2017 (Makuleke)
14 August-19 August 2017 (Makuleke)
4 September-9 September 2017 (Makuleke)
2 October-7 October 2017 (Makuleke)
Participants who are qualified trails guide back-ups wishing to obtain hours and encounters towards their lead qualification, will rotate as back-ups and can log their hours and encounters.