Pridelands, South Africa
Situated in the Limpopo Province of South Africa, north of the Hoedspruit Airforce base, Pridelands Conservancy, a former hunting farm, presents a magnificent example of intact vegetation of Combretum woodland.
In September 2017, the fences between Pridelands and the Greater Kruger National Park (GKNP) have been dropped making Pridelands part of the Great Kruger National Park with an additional 2000 ha of land which extends the habitat for animals.
- Fresh drinkable water is available from the taps. Bottled water is available for purchase.
- Electricity is supplied at the centre. During camp-out activities there will be no electricity, therefore please bring headlamps and spare batteries for cameras etc.
- Soft drinks and selected beverages (local beers and ciders) are sold from the camp and can only be paid for with cash. There are no credit/debit card or cheque facilities. Cordial fruit juices are served with meals. Tea and coffee are available throughout the day.
- The game viewing vehicles are open-top Land Rovers and Land Cruisers
- For the duration of your stay, there will typically be a head instructor, assistant instructor, camp co-ordinator, camp cook and a camp cleaning lady.
- A laundry service is provided by the camp and available for a small charge (included at no extra charge for the Professional Field Guide One Year Course)
Since the fences have been dropped, a variety of wildlife from members of
the big five to wild dogs and hyenas have been seen on the Conservancy. During the rainy season the dam in front of camp forms a waterhole teeming with wildlife including elephants and buffalo.
Average summer maximum temperature (October-March): 35°C
Average minimum winter temperature (April-September): 6°C
The camp consists of 10 simple dome tents, each with two mattresses and single pillows (two learners per tent). There are shared bathroom facilities and a central communal area.
Please bring a sleeping blanket, additional blanket and pillow should you require them. There are no mosquito nets available at Pridelands.