Selati Game Reserve, South Africa
The Selati camp is situated on the banks of the Selati River, in the 33 000ha (81 545 acres) Selati Game Reserve, to the west of the Kruger National Park.
The Selati Game Reserve is a large reserve, with diverse topography and biodiversity. In the east, there are large granite hills, where Verreaux’s eagles and klipspringers can be found.
The dominant vegetation types are Combretum and Mopane woodland. This habitat is well-suited to the large elephant and giraffe population found there.
The reserve is bisected by the Selati River, which dries up into large rocky pools of water in winter. There is a lot of space to conduct walks and get a true sense of wilderness.
Special species occurring here include sable antelope and eland.
Pick an animal and you’ll find it here – lion, buffalo, and elephant, as well as special species such as sable and eland. General game such as giraffe, zebra, wildebeest, waterbuck, kudu, impala, baboons, and monkeys are plentiful. We also get to see cheetahs on a regular basis. For the twitchers, there is more than enough of the feathered kind to be heard and spotted.
Average summer maximum temperature (October-March): 35°C
Average minimum winter temperature (April-September): 4°C
The camp consists of 10 simple dome tents, each with two mattresses and single pillows (two learners per tent). There are shared bathroom facilities and a central communal area overlooking the Selati River.
Please bring a sleeping blanket, additional blanket and pillow should you require them. There are no mosquito nets available at Selati.
- Fresh drinkable water is available from the taps. Bottled water is available for purchase.
- Soft drinks and selected beverages (local beers and ciders) are sold from the camp and can only be paid for with cash. There are no credit/debit card or cheque facilities. Cordial fruit juices are served with meals. Tea and coffee are available throughout the day.
- The game viewing vehicles are open-top Land Rovers and Land Cruisers
- For the duration of your stay, there will typically be a head instructor, assistant instructor, camp co-ordinator, camp cook and a camp cleaning lady.
- A laundry service is provided by the camp and available for a small charge (included at no extra charge for the Professional Field Guide One Year Course)