EcoTraining Field Guide 35-day Practical Course (FGASA & CATHSSETA)
FGASA Apprentice Field Guide / Nature Site Guide (NQF 2) Practical Component
After the successful completion of the FGASA Field Guide Theory section, the next step is to complete the practical section of the course. Spend 35-days immersed in nature with EcoTraining. Learn through hands-on experiences in the African wilderness for the duration of your course.
WHY DO THE COURSE?
The EcoTraining Field Guide practical section consists out of 35-days of applied learning towards the FGASA Apprentice Field Guide qualification. This is the entry-level qualification for Field Guiding which encompasses vehicle-based guiding in dangerous and non-dangerous games areas. Through extensive training, the guide will be able to conduct game drives for guests in a limited geographical area.
The guide forms the link between nature and the guest on the vehicle, and the level of knowledge of the guide is of utmost importance.
Upon successful completion of the course, participants can enroll for the EcoTraining Trails Guide Course (FGASA Apprentice Trails Guide status) and specialise in ‘on-foot’ guiding.
The practical section of the Apprentice Field Guide course will cover the same modules that were covered during the Field Guide theory section. Our specialist Instructors will prepare you for practical assessment and they will focus on the following topics:
- Using a High Lift Jack safely
- Game Drive Radio protocol
- Spotlighting techniques
- Identify and talk about trees, grasses, and flowers. (Medicinal, Practical and Cultural uses)
- Bird behaviour
- Arthropod behaviour
- Mammal behaviour
- Spoor identification
- Dung and territorial identification.
- Identify and explain the warning signs of common mammals.
- Identify star constellations and their stories.
- Point out and explain what the Milkyway is.
- Explain and point out what Deep Sky objects are.
- Point out the relevant planets
- Use the Southern Cross to tell direction.
Our winning formula
This course not only offers excellent value for money but also opportunity. Live and learn in one of our unfenced camps for endless hands-on educational opportunities in untouched wilderness areas of southern Africa or Kenya
CERTIFICATION AND ACCREDITATION OF COURSE
31 July 2022 – 03 July 2022 Karongwe & Pridelands
06 October – 09 November 2022 Pridelands
02 November – 06 December 2022 Mara Training Centre
Participants will have the opportunity to attempt their EcoTraining Field Guide Certificate and FGASA Apprentice Field Guide (NQF2) qualification, by successfully completing a theoretical and practical assessment. These assessments will be conducted by our instructors (who are accredited FGASA assessors) at our camps, during the course.
YOU COULD WALK AWAY WITH …
- CATHSSETA Nature Site Guide (NQF2) Qualification
- FGASA Apprentice Field Guide Certificate
- EcoTraining Certificate of Participation